As I mentioned in a previous post, a few months ago I color corrected a documentary film called “Wings of Thunder.” There were a few shots that had scratches and emulsion dust on the negative. I used an After Effects plug-in from Red Giant called Film Fix. The video below is the original test I did in DV for Jeff Hogan to approve. He liked it (a lot) and so I went forward with the original Uncompressed 10bit HD shot captured from HDCAM SR 422. The plug-in only works on After Effects 6.5 and 7 on PowerPC Macs, so I had to use an old Mirror Drive Door G4 to render these out. Needless to say, it took FOREVER. We wanted to use this plug-in on a bunch more shots, but I think just this clip took about 14 hours to render. I’m now testing the plug-in in After Effects 7 for Windows XP running in Parallels on my MacBook Pro. AE7 for Windows is multiple processor-aware (the Mac version is not) and Parallels is the only virtual machine for Mac that allows you to specify the number of cores that you want to dedicate to the virtual machine. I’m hoping the tests work out and I can get this thing running on multiple cores on a Mac Pro.
The video above is a bit small. You can watch a slightly larger version of the clip here